…John Foster ….11-23-15
My wife Annie and I attended the movie Close Encounters Of The Third Kind when it first came out. I believe it was during the 1970s…or possibly the early 1980s. We were with a good friend and another couple we didn’t know too well. This was way before my 1986/1987 “flood of recollections.”
Well, not too long after the movie started, my heart began to pump fast and strong and I felt adrenaline intensely flowing through my heart, solar plexus and stomach. By mid-movie I began to weep…and my entire body tightened at every major development. By the end of the movie I realized I had been weeping uncontrollably during most of the movie. I was so shocked that Annie and I stayed frozen in our seats until the rest of the audience had left. She consoled me (a forty-something old man), tenderly, throughout the movie and afterward. The crowd had left the movie more silently than I had ever witnessed.
When we met our friends outside, they exclaimed that I must have a strong connection with the story the movie had just portrayed. And I experienced, at that time, an overwhelming subconscious feeling and knowledge that told me they most probably were correct.
It was a knowledge and feeling that had haunted me, but not so intensely, my entire life. Little did I know at the time this subconscious awareness would follow me until the Spring of 1986 when I began recalling the enormous number of so-called UFO encounters that had occurred since my very early childhood. It eventually burst into a flood of memory that I couldn’t completely control.
As an aside, it’s interesting to note that I wrote about this movie experience in an article I contributed to UFODigest.com on-line magazine. One of the readers said she recalled attending the movie in her area and she noticed, after the movie, most everyone else left weeping. I have written other articles for UFO Digest. If you are interested click in and search “John Foster:” http://www.ufodigest.com .
Of course there were many other things I and others who were with me experienced during my encounters of 46+ years. Yet, it is still astonishing for me to know that parts of my encounters were somewhat accurately portrayed in the movie Close Encounters Of The Third Kind. Some of the similarities are as follows:
- The pickup mysteriously stopping and the man being paralyzed as a brilliant light shown in the cab from what must of been a craft just ahead of him – (Many times in my youth, especially as a young teenager, while traveling on highways and some back roads, our car mysteriously stopped and we lost some time. I recalled our car stopping and some things that occurred during the time losses when I had my 1986/1987 recollections.)
- The overwhelming urgent feelings the man felt as if someone was silently telling him to do certain things or to go to certain places, such as Devil’s Tower in Eastern Wyoming – (I also had overwhelming urgent feelings, especially during the several years before my “flood of recollections” in the Spring of 1986, especially while standing on the patio just before I began to recall “The Bethany Grade School Playground Encounter,” Chapter Two of the book Eminent Discovery…and especially when I strongly felt, every Spring of the 1970s and early 1980s, that we just had to travel to The Teton Mountains and Dubois, Wyoming, etc. And we did travel there again in August of 1986 after I had recalled most of the encounter at Bethany Grade School. It is astonishing to realize Annie and I experienced my last overt encounter during that trip while setting up camp at Maloney Lake just south of North Platte, Nebraska, etc, etc. It was when “The Voice” coming from the craft gave me a choice to remember my life-long encounters or not remember.)
- The man feeling a comradery with the other woman and her son – (I also felt a comradery with several other UFO “contactees” after my recollections, especially at the Laramie UFO Conference On UFO Investigation and those contactees in eastern Nebraska, etc. However, I haven’t yet left on a UFO craft for parts unknown as the man did in the movie. And it is interesting to note that Annie and I did separate for a year and a half after my flood of recollections…until I realized that she and our kids were the real purpose of my life…even though, as you will find by reading the books, I have been conditioned, trained and educated to carry out a specific task in my later years, a task that began in 1987 when I met “the familiar strangers.” Etc, etc.)
- The small craft in the movie that appeared similar to the disc-shaped craft with two headlights of my encounters…and the bell shaped object with windows in the movie that appeared very similar to the bell-shaped object of my encounters….both appearing very similar to the space capsule of our United States Mercury Space Program.
- Other minor similarities too numerous to mention here.
- But especially the churning, boiling clouds from which the UFO craft arrived and to which they departed.
I believe it’s interesting to note that I still weep at times when Annie and I watch movies similar to “Close Encounters…,” such as “Contact” with Jody Foster and others that portray elements of the great unknown.